SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Public Service Announcement for Louisiana Drivers

Hey, Louisiana drivers. You know how sometimes you'll be driving along, and you'll hear this loud siren behind you, and a funny-looking vehicle with bright, flashing lights comes into your view? If it looks like a truck with a big box instead of a bed, then that's called an "ambulance." And those bright, flashing lights and loud siren are an ambulance's way of saying, "hey, I really, really need to get past you, so if you'd kindly pull over, that would be peachy." And I know you're probably thinking, "but I, too, have to get where I'm going. Who does this ambulance think he is, assuming wherever he's going is more important than where I'm going?" Well the answer to that is, there is either someone in the back of the ambulance who may die if you don't pull over, or else the ambulance is on the way to pick up someone who might die if you don't pull over.

For those of you who already knew that, I apologize for wasting your time. But it seems like no one in Louisiana knew it, so I thought I'd spread it around.

I was in a long line of cars this morning, and I heard a siren, so I immediately pulled over when I saw the ambulance behind me. Louisiana drivers apparently interpreted my pulling over as an invitation for them to drive past me and continue to ignore the siren. God help me if I ever get in an accident around here.