SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Gratuitous Domestic Posting

As part of my on-going efforts to be more like the Llamabutchers, here's a post about my horticultural endeavors over the week-end.

I've got this tiny plot of dirt in my back yard, and ever since I moved in I've intended to plant something there. For months, I've let nature take its course, and I was blessed with numerous large, spiky weeds. So on Saturday I went and got a rake, some gloves, and a bag of grass seed. After maybe two hours of weed-pulling and seed-sowing, here's what I have to work with:


The huge pile in the upper left-hand corner is about half of the weeds I pulled. So after I got the seeds down and my dirt-pile watered, I read the directions on the bag (yeah, I'm a bit of a novice) and it said I can expect the seedlings in about seven days, if conditions are good.

Well screw that, I thought, this is the twenty-first century. No way am I waiting seven days just for a bunch of seeds to germinate. So I got on my computer and took care of that problem lickety-split:


Now we're in business.

Of course, it's one thing to get the seeds to germinate, and something else entirely to keep my lawn from dying due to gross incompetence or two-year-old-boy. But really, I'm kind of fatalistic about the whole thing. If it dies, I have some back-up plans, like maybe planting some flowers:



Then again, I think this neighborhood has a restrictive covenant that prohibits man-eating flora. And even if not, my neighbor Mario keeps threatening to shoot fireballs at them if I try to plant them (jerk), so that's why I came up with my idea for a worm farm:

Because the spice must flow.