SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

SobekPundit: Apocalypse Edition

Pardon my unannounced absence yesterday evening. I had a debilitating headache, so I was busy whimpering instead of blogging. I'll try not to let it happen again.

So ... anything exciting happen while I was away?

1. Hans Bricks speculates irresponsibly that we may have captured Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the Jordanian-born freedom fight... I mean, terrorist who heads up al-Qaeda in Iraq. This comes on the heels of an Ace of Spades speculation to the same effect. Hans links Cheese and Crackers as saying that al-Jazeera is reporting that we've got Zarqawi, and Cheese and Crackers links - nobody. I have no idea who Cheese and Crackers' source is.

Check out the Ace link to see why he says "that 'no comment' thing is very interesting."

2. A plane was just forced to land in Texas, reportedly in connection with a dirty bomb plot - with possible ties to the recent dirty bomb scare in Boston. Dave, guest-blogging at Ace (I'm green with envy, but then again I am a crocodile, so I guess that's nothing new), has some thoughts, as well as a link to Michelle Malkin. Let's hope we can chalk up another good save by the good guys.

3. A fire in a New York subway station has destroyed 600 relays. That puts the C line out of commission for up to five years. I sure am glad I don't have to commute around that city.

4. Another subway problem, this one in London. Holy crap, is there a curse on this day or something? 100,000 people were stranded. It looks like human error compounded by a signal failure. Sucks to be them.

5. A stampede and a fire killed hundreds near a temple in Bombay. Although a few quips spring to mind, I think I'll pass, given the gravity of the situation.

That's the news, ladies and gentlemen. I checked al-Jazeera's web site and didn't see anything about Zarqawi, but Cheese and Crackers could have been passing on a televised report, for all I know.

Note: if the Zarqawi thing turns out to be real, I'll have a perfect opportunity to use my brand new .gif, courtesy of Fat Kid, best described as "the Arab version of cowbell." We can only hope.