SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Harry Reid, Apparently Not Yet Completely Convinced of his Utter Incompetence, Threatens Filibuster

I take immense personal satisfaction knowing I get to vote against this guy.

Reid actually flew down to the Mexico border to stage a press conference, at which he pretended to have something like clout. It seems Bill Frist and the Republicans (note: that would be a terrible name for a rock band) are trying to do something about immigration reform. The proposal is described thus:

"Frist unveiled a bill last week that sidesteps the question of temporary work permits. It would tighten borders, punish employers who hire illegal immigrants and provide more visas."

So what about that has Reid's panties in a wad?

"Reid said the overhaul must include heightened border enforcement, a 'guest worker' program and a 'path to citizenship' for the estimated 11 million people in the United States illegally. He called legislation by Sens. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., and John McCain, R- Ariz., a 'good place to start.'"

I haven't read the Kennedy legislation, but I have a sneaking suspicion it involves the massive importation of Corona and Dos Equis. All joking aside (note: I wasn't joking), what exactly is Reid's problem? Let's take a closer look:

Frist: "tighten borders"
Reid: "heightened border enforcement"

Frist: "provide more visas"
Reid: "a 'guest worker' program"

Frist: [no 'path to citizenship']
Reid: "a 'path to citizenship' for the estimated 11 million people in the United States illegally"

Um, so I guess the only difference is that last one, right? I can only assume Reid's "path to citizenship" doesn't mean outright amnesty, so it looks like it's just an application process, right? I confess I'm not big on immigration law, but isn't there already an application process, whereby non-citizens can become citizens? I could have sworn I read about something like that somewhere.

Anyway, Reid then proceded to pose for the most awkward political photo this side of John Kerry:


Is he doing "the robot"?