SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Friday, February 18, 2005

Back to Normal

Okay, I'm all done scandal-mongering. Curiously enough, I got two Insta-links from the same, recycled Photoshop, maybe three trolls, and one e-mail from a less-than-well-wisher. It seems that if you want some serious traffic, the trick is to make fun of Instapundit. That's all well and good, but I'm not about to turn this into the "Photoshopping Instapundit" blog, so I'm heading back to my boring old routine.

But first, a few items of business.

Mr. Snitch was enterprising enough to send me a link, perhaps in the hopes of surfing some Insta-traffic. Nothing wrong with that, that I can see. I laughed at this and this. I think my Insta-traffic is mostly gone, but I'll be checking in once in a while.

"Harmless" sent me the following, quoted in its entirety (and slightly edited): "saw your link at Glenn's--more 2nd rate bulls**t and raised much after the fact to let us know you are still busy being a funny guy..Now take a look at what is happening to the nation and make more funny jokes--nothing personal."

Okay, now I feel terrible. As long as anything bad is happening to the nation, I shouldn't make jokes. That was immature of me. In my defense, my second-rate, ahem, stuff was raised last October.

Clifford Grout e-mailed to check up on my New Orleans bona fides. In the interest of full disclosure, my profile says my location is New Orleans, not that I'm from here. And more specifically, I'm in Metairie, but how many people know where that is? And thank you, Clifford, for the restaurant recommendations. On a student's salary (i.e. nothing) I might not be able to follow up, but I'll see what I can do.

I'd also like to point out the comparative reactions to my photoshops. When Rusty Shackleford joked about Atrios being gay (and I kind of jumped on his traffic wave), Atrios kind of shrugged it off, but his readers went absolutely berserk. It was amazing. It was enough to make Fat Kid blush, and Fat Kid is pretty filthy. But when I joked about Glenn being a former midget stripped (and Slublog (linked above) is now saying he was a former Village Person), he laughed and sent a massive wave of traffic. It seems that one side of the political aisle is strung more tightly than the other.

On a technical note, for some reason the image quality of photoshopped pictures changes between my Photoshop-like program and when I actually post them on the blog. On my Andrew Sullivan picture, the head and neck were seamless, but now that the picture is up, the quality is terrible.

I'd like to thank all the Instapundit readers who more than doubled my life-time traffic in a single day, but none of them are here, and not likely to return. Thanks to all of you who were here before the spike. You know who you are. But now it's time to get back to trenchant political commentary and Mr. Potato Head in humerous guises.

Update: I forgot to mention, The Man has another Photoshop/caption contest. I have an entry, but I think The Man has me beat on this one. That wacky Jared...