SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Friday, December 10, 2004

Blogroll Update

First, a note about my blogroll. Anyone who spends a lot of time reading conservative blogs will notice that it's missing some important names. Where is Captain's Quarters? How about Belmont Club? NRO's Corner?

The thing is, I use my blogroll - it's not just there to look pretty or complete or to suggest my endorsement of whatever is said on any of them. And frankly, I don't have time to read more blogs than I have listed. I don't really have time to read what I've got. So I only blogroll those that I want to cycle through on a daily or a near-daily basis.

So why not just pick the biggest, baddest, Republican-est blogs around? To me, blogging exists because of participation. If all I'm doing is passively reading and that's it, I may as well be watching television, or listening to the radio. It's simply no fun if I can't dive in as well. So my links include smaller blogs, generally, because I can and do invest the time to keep up with them. And that's why, possibly for the first time in the history of the computer, Instapundit is about to lose a blogroll. I know he won't care (or know), but the fact is, I don't have time to keep up with his content (by which I mean "links followed by the word "Heh"), and I can't participate because he doesn't have comments. Nothing personal, but if I don't use the link, it's gone.

I'm also dropping Big Red Hammer. Again, nothing personal. If anything, this is something of a goad to get you posting again, you slacker. He was my roommate in college, and he helped me figure things out when we both started blogging, so I owe him a link, but I don't see how a basically dead link helps either of us. When you come out of retirement, drop me a line and I'll restore you to your place of honor.

Patton at Opinion 8 fame almost got the boot, too, but then I saw a flurry of posts there after he won an award for not posting anything, courtesy of the UnPopulist (who is new to my blogroll). Dude, that's a pretty sweet deal you've got going, Patton. And I'm glad I don't have to chop you. Keep it up.

Beatdown was fun at first, but they got less creative, quit updating, and aren't funny anymore. Beatdown with a blogroll that doesn't have them on it. (Heh, I'm stealing their bit). If they wanna get funny again, they can drop me a line.

What about Allahpundit? Why is he still there? He hasn't posted anything since October? Folks, the fact is, he's the reason I started blogging in the first place. His is the first blog I ever saw, and not only did it reveal to me the possibilities, but it made me laugh out loud in the middle of an Evidence lecture (that was embarrassing). He will always have a place of honor on my blogroll.

Finally, after perusing her site I've deemed the tantalyzingly anonymous Mrs. R worthy of a spot on the blogroll and worthy of not being devoured by a crocodile. It doesn't look like she updates frequently, but it also looks like she puts a lot of time into her very funny posts.

Totally Unrelated Update: Is it just me, or has Red Meat totally lost its charm? I used to laugh so hard at the old Milkman Dan and Karen strips.