SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Afghan President Hamid Karzai Sworn In

I'm looking for a link to the whole text, and so far I've only seen exerpts. This from the BBC is the most comprehensive one I've seen so far. I'd find the original and do my own translation but, sadly, I don't know any Pashto or Dari (I know, I know, I let you all down).

If anyone sees a transcript of the whole thing, let me know.

This news is huge. If you don't find this story inspiring, you are dead inside. Congratulations, people of Afghanistan, and may your passion for freedom keep you turning out at presidential elections in numbers that should make Americans hang their heads in shame.

Update: Also via BBC News, I found their web site in Pashto, which it turns out has the same alphabet as Arabic (which is how I found the link to the Pashto site in the first place). For some reason they have rectangles liberally interspersed throughout the text, which leads me to believe that the software is simply racist. The Arabic site doesn't have rectangles. What's up with that? Also, I see that Urdu uses the Arabic alphabet, but all the cool Central Asian languages like Uzbek and Kyrgyz use Cyrillic. What's up with that? But then again, they're Turkish languages, and not even the Turks use Roman characters, so I guess the Uzbeks should be able to use Cyrillic without me giving them grief.