SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Friday, December 10, 2004

SobekPundit: Helping Kids Cheat Since July, 2004

Sitemeter lets you find out where some of your traffic comes from, and occasionally it's interesting to see which google (or other) searches get you unwitting traffic. By "unwitting traffic" I mean that the search terms clearly indicate that the searcher was looking for something totally unrelated to your content.

It seems someone went to AskJeeves.com and typed in the query "Is there a book report for Markheim?" and it hit this post from July 28. The post is clearly nothing that a would-be plagiarist can use, because although the title is "Summer Book Report," it's just me blathering on about some books I had read. There's no real structure, and more importantly, I only mention the Robert Louis Stevenson short story Markheim in passing. So at least I was able to waste the kid's time.

I'm somewhat disturbed by my discovery, but it looks like at least some smart educators, such as Dr. Shackleford from MyPetJawa, have found that plagiarism is often easy to catch.