SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Kerry on the Defensive over Iraq War Comments

This editorial from the New York Times says the Kerry people are on the defensive over his recent statement, while visiting the Grand Canyon, that he would have gone to war even if he knew in advance there were no WMDs. I will mention in passing just to note that yes, I take some pleasure in seeing the Kerry-ites squirm.

But the real reason I'm blogging it is for this quote from Sen. Joe Biden:

"I saw a headline that said 'Kerry Would Have Gone to War.' That's bull. He wouldn't have. Not the way Bush did."

I wonder if Biden has any idea that he just completely contradicted himself. Perhaps he's been hanging out with Kerry too long. Look at the quote sentence by sentence. 1. "I saw a headline that said 'Kerry Would Have Gone to War.'" Okay, that's a statement of fact. I don't particularly care whether or not it's true that Joe Biden saw such a headline. 2. "That's bull." That means Kerry would not have gone to war. No problems so far. I suspect he's right. 3. "He wouldn't have." Confirming his belief that the headline is bull. Again, no problems so far. 4. "Not the way Bush did." Whoa there, pilgrim. That sentence (actually, it's a sentence fragment, but who's counting?) means he would, indeed, have gone to war. He would have done it in a different manner, perhaps, but he would have done it.

In other words, Biden manages to change his mind from one sentence to the next. Again, I think he's been spending too much time talking to Kerry.