SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Imginary Photoshop Moment

Okay, pretend you see the following photoshopped picture:

Kojo Annan, corrupt son of UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, has green skin and is decked out like a witch, with a pointy hat, holding a broom, and such. Above him is a speech bubble of him saying "This is all just a big witch hunt!"

So why am I describing the scene to you, rather than just showing you? Two reasons. First of all, I can't find a picture of Kojo Annan on the web. I know, surprising, huh? Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, I wouldn't even recognize him if I did find a picture of him, and I imagine most of you couldn't, either. I suppose I could label the picture, or give it a caption or something, but at that point, the impact would be gone anyway. But trust me: that Photoshop woulda been good...

Anyway, the link above is about Kojo Annan claiming the UNSCAM allegations are just part of a Republican witch-hunt. Uh huh.

"In a written statement to the network, the 31-year-old said: 'I have never participated directly or indirectly in any business related to the United Nations.'"

I'm having a little trouble squaring that claim with this statement by his father:

"Naturally, I was very disappointed and surprised."

If his own father didn't find it odd that there were allegations that Kojo was stealing from a UN program, why didn't Kofi say something to the effect of "but he doesn't have any contact with the UN"? That's a strange reaction, if Kojo really doesn't do any business, "directly or indirectly," with the United Nations. Kojo's claim is also a little hard to square with this:

"After earlier announcing the payments had ended by 1999, a UN spokesman admitted Friday that Kojo Annan had been paid monthly until February 2004 -- just weeks after media reports focused international attention on the scandal."

Pardon me? If Kojo wasn't doing any business with the UN, why were they sending him checks? Perhaps they were royalties for his hit rap album "I'll Starve Your Family."

The only way I can think of that Kojo's statement is not a lie is if his father is in on the Republican conspiracy. Bascially it would break down like this: the eeeeeevil Rovian Republicans lobby to get Kofi in as Secretary General so he can mismanage the United Nations into the ground through utter ineptitude and record-breaking corruption, pinning all the blame on his own son. I'm trying to decide which version of Kofi would be the bigger douchebag - corrupt hyper-liberal Kofi who lets millions starve in Iraq and get slaughtered in Sudan, or scheming hyper-conservative Kofi who is willing to sell out his own son for to reach his political goals. I'm leaning towards the first.