SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Friday, August 12, 2005

Break Out the Tiny Violin

I love reading Nevada cases. Usually it's because our judges seem to be playing a long, extemely elaborate practical joke on the state, but sometimes it's because of what one of the parties does.

Case in point.

In yesterday's Weaver v. State Dept. of Motor Vehicles, Mr. Weaver is suing to get his driver's license back. He lost it after crashing his gray, convertible Porsche into a wall. (Cue the tiny violins). The police officer who arrived on the scene noted that Weaver slurred his speech, had bloodshot eyes, and reeked of alcohol.

Weaver's defense? "No officer, I wasn't drunk while driving. I crashed my car, then walked home and drank two beers [in a later version of the story, he walked home and drank five or six beers and four or five shots of tequila], then walked back to the scene of the accident so you could smell me stinking like booze."

Uh huh.

Update: One fact I forgot to mention: his blood alcohol level was 0.272, almost three times the legal limit.