SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Louisiana Gay Marriage Amendment Passes

By a lot. About 4 to 1, in fact. But it wouldn't be a Louisiana election without some kind of scandal, and in this case it's about voting machines. Some of the machines didn't show up until four-ish in the afternoon. It didn't make any difference to me, because I was driving all that day (and with that kind of margin, my vote wouldn't have made a difference either way).

As I've suggested before, I'm not entirely comfortable with this Amendment. It goes much further than necessary. And it addresses a symptom (judicial activists trying to shape societal norms about homosexuality) instead of the root problem (the anti-democratic practice of getting judges to make laws that Congress/state legislatures never could). I'm not going to protest the Amendment because I think it's fine to treat the symptoms as well, but if that's where things stop then we're just going to see this all over again with the next hot-button issue.