SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Art Project #1

I did this around 1994 or 95 or so. You can see the hint of where my future posters would go, but this is very different for a few reasons. First, there is no religious theme to it at all. It started as me copying a logo from the inside of an Alice in Chains album, and then building images around that. Second, there's no text. Third, if I recall correctly (no guarantees), I did this with a Sharpie, instead of a pen. This one doesn't contrast thick lines with fine detail.


I gave this one to a cousin for a wedding present. Pic should be clickable-to-enlargeable.

Another important difference is I didn't do any sort of research or base it on any genuine historical or religious themes. I'd say I tried to make it look sorta Aztec or Mayan, except I actually don't know the difference between the two (other than the Aztecs were Peru, and the Mayans were Mexico). All of my later works are based more concretely on specific cultures and traditions, instead of slapdash guesswork.