SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Elegy, Part Two

The above-mentioned artists. To be honest, most of it wasn't very good. But the atmosphere was wonderful.

The famous Cafe du Monde, across from Jackson Square. If you want it less crowded, you can try the mall in Metairie, but it's not quite the same thing, of course.

The south entrance of Jackson Square at dusk. This is one of the few pictures I took. My wife did most of them, proving she has an eye for aesthetics, after all.

Far and away the best part about New Orleans. I had two children born there. That alone is enough to forever tie my heart to the Crescent City.

Jean LaFitte National Historic Park is on the West Bank. It's in the heart of the bayou, complete with alligators. The live oaks push themselves out of the ground with knuckled roots like they are trying to avoid the swamp below.

It's hard to believe, but that green patch is water. Or rather, it's a layer of scum on top of filthy water.

The egrets, with their delicate legs and long, graceful necks, are so much whiter and brighter than their surroundings that the camera makes them glow.

I like how creepy this one looks. It would be a lot creepier at dusk.

This little fellow was good enough to hold still for me long enough to get a shot. I owe him one.

I love this one. I love the long, grey beards of Spanish moss reflected in the water.

Two baby alligators hiding in the spotted shadows under the leaves.

A crafty little fellow. The look in his eye reminds me of my little boy, when he's hatching mischevious schemes.

Lake Pontchartrain at sunset. You can see the Causeway bridge, the longest bridge in the world. I heard it was wiped out.

The view towards New Orleans' Ponchartrain shore.