SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Follow-up on "Sometimes People Get What They Deserve"

I wrote a post a few days ago about the tragic killing of Toree Donaldson and the even more tragic refusal of people in the neighborhood to help him at the time, or speak to police now. Apparently, my sentiments on the subject are not universal. From today's Times-Picayune comes the following letter to the editor:

"Please spare me any high-minded moralizing about helping our fellow man in his time of need. I know I would act decisively and prudently to protect my life and limb by having the common sense to batten down the hatches and hit the deck. Wouldn't any sane person do the same?

"In the world of today, in the New Orleans of today, self-preservation is the name of the game. While I do sympathize with the victims and their families, I would not choose to join them."

Very well, I'll spare you the high-minded moralizing, you worthless piece of human garbage. I'll simply point out that if survival is the name of the game, the incapacitation of your enemies is the way to go, no? By letting criminals walk the streets, firing fully automatic weapons with impunity, and refusing to contact the police afterwards, are you not contributing to "the world of today ... the New Orleans of today"? It is true that it is a very dangerous city - one of the worst. And why is that? Because criminals know no fear. They know what they can get away with, because of callous bastards like yourself. And because the residents refused to help Toree Donaldson, the ratio of murderers to duckers has shifted in favor of the murderers. There is one less target, meaning the odds of one of those residents being the next to run screaming through the streets in broad daylight has just increased.

So not only are you a soulless monster, you're also not very smart, if self-preservation is the only name of your game. I'll try to keep that in mind should I notice your name in the obituaries.