SobekPundit

Still Pissed Off About the Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Monday, July 26, 2004

The Softer Side of Saddam

Here's a touching little peek into the life of Saddam Hussein. 

"Saddam Hussein is spending his time in solitary confinement writing poetry, gardening, reading the Qur'an and snacking on American muffins and cookies. One of his poems is about his arch-enemy George Bush."

You have to wonder what that poetry is like.  "Hmm, what rhymes with 'Bush is the criminal'?  Minimal? Subliminal? In the mill? Bah! (shreds the page and starts over)."

So I'm hereby announcing the first official SobekPundit poetry contest.  Write a poem from the perspective of Saddam Hussein in jail.  The winner gets a big hug.  I feel reasonably confident in making such an offer, because so far all of three people outside of my immediate family know about this blog.  And since I'm judging the contest, I'll just decide in advance that my wife will win.  I'll tell you it was really funny, but if you want to know what it said, you should have thought about that when you failed to start your own blog and create a Saddam poetry contest. 

I hope you've learned your lesson.